It’s the Côte d’Azur signature. Discover the gardens on the Côte d’Azur: gardens overlooking the sea, exotic gardens, remarkable gardens, French gardens, perfumed flower gardens. In the end the hardest thing was selecting just 12. Because all the exceptional gardens on the Côte d’Azur are worth visiting! It’s sumptuous, unique, majestic: discover one of the most beautiful facets of the Côte d’Azur – its gardens.
1. THE GARDENS OF THE CHÂTEAU DE LA NAPOULE IN MANDELIEU
Venetian, Moorish, Roman… the art of gardening is in the spotlight at the Château de la Napoule!
A prestigious site on the seafront discovered by the Romans more than 2,000 years ago. The Château de la Napoule gardens designed by Mary Clews on an area of over 4 hectares, include fountains, topiary, small secret corners interspersed with magnificent sculptures. This is a real artist’s garden blending panoramas, perspectives and artistic creation. It is therefore not surprising that this garden received the “Remarkable Gardens” label from the Ministry of Culture.
2. THE GARDENS AT THE FONDATION MAEGHT IN SAINT-PAUL
3. MIP GARDENS IN MOUANS-SARTOUX
2. This is the very first private foundation dedicated to living art. The Fondation Maeght in Saint-Paul-de-Vence was inaugurated in 1964 by no less than André Malraux. Apart from the foundation, the Miro garden is worth a visit as are the gardens surrounding the original main building by the architect Josep Lluis Sert.
Discover the Fondation Maeght !
3. Near Grasse, the perfume capital, the MIP gardens in Mouans-Sartoux offer a delicious and fragrant walk in the heart of the fields of roses, jasmine, orange blossom and violets. Escape among the floral fragrances of the Côte d’Azur.
Découvrir les Jardins du MIP !
4. JARDIN EXOTIQUE IN EZE
5. JARDIN EXOTIQUE IN MONACO
4. Here we are at the top of Eze in the heart of the ruins of a medieval castle. Overlooking the sea, the exotic garden in Eze is home to succulent plants such as cacti, agaves, and aloe as well as Mediterranean type plants. From this fragrant perch and one of the most beautiful gardens on the Côte d’Azur, you can admire the coast as far as Saint-Tropez.
Discover the Jardin Exotique d’Eze!
5. Monaco is on the list of extraordinary gardens on the Côte d’Azur. Opened in 1933 and boldly planted on the cliff side, the Rock gives pride of place to exuberance and the unusual. For example Monaco’s exotic garden houses fabulous plants that grow to gigantic heights.
Discover the Jardin Exotique de Monaco!
6. THE DOMAINE DU RAYOL IN RAYOL-CANADEL
7. THE SERRE DE LA MADONE IN MENTON
6. Owned by the Conservatoire du Littoral, the Domaine du Rayol is a protected natural 20 hectare space facing the Iles d’Hyères, between Le Lavandou and Saint-Tropez. The landscaper Gilles Clément designed the Jardin des Méditerranées, an invitation to travel through the world’s Mediterranean landscapes.
Discover the Domaine du Rayol!
7. In the 19th century, English botanists began introducing tropical and subtropical species into the heart of Menton. Listed as a Historical Monument since 1990 and an exceptional garden on the Côte d’Azur, the Serre de la Madone has a unique landscape with countless rare plants and species brought from around the world. It was the work of Lawrence Johnston in 1924.
Discover the Jardin de la Serre de la Madone!
8. THE JARDIN DU VAL RAHMEH IN MENTON
9. THE VILLA THURET GARDENS IN ANTIBES
8. During your visit, linger around the ponds of Val Rahmeh with their giant lotus and water lilies that flourish in the sunshine. The garden also has secrets such as avocados, papayas, guava trees, banana trees, along with plants like the Easter Island Sophora toromiro that are extinct in the wild. It is a garden full of colour and fragrances.
Discover the Jardin du Val Rahmeh!
9. A botanical garden managed by the Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, the Villa Thuret garden is home to plants that are little known in France. The site has kept its “English-style” 19th century garden design. There are eucalyptus and palm trees alongside conifers with staggering dimensions. For writer George Sand, the gardens of Villa Thuret was “the most beautiful” she has ever seen.
Discover the Jardin de la Villa Thuret!
10. THE VILLA EPHRUSSI DE ROTHSCHILD GARDENS IN SAINT-JEAN-CAP-FERRAT
In the middle of the peninsula, Villa Ephrussi houses an exceptional garden – you can go from a French garden with water features to a Spanish garden with exotic species, and drink in the scents in the Florentine garden. A floral journey with nine stages, where you can easily spend the whole day. In addition, the rose garden offers a superb selection of roses. Roses were Baroness Ephrussi’s favourite flower.
11. PARC PHOENIX IN NICE
12. THE ARBORETUM IN ROURE
11. A 7 hectare green lung on the western outskirts of Nice, Parc Phoenix is a tropical antechamber. Its huge greenhouse is 25 meters high and recreates six tropical and subtropical climates. A real paradise for children, Parc Phoenix now has more than 2,000 animals too.
Discover Parc Phoenix!
12. In Roure on the edge of the Parc National du Mercantour and listed among the Remarkable Gardens on the Côte d’Azur, the Arboretum Marcel Kroënlein is an open book on the different kingdoms that preceded us. Through its collection of 400 trees, you can observe and decipher the principle of biodiversity.
Discover the Arboretum de Roure!
YOU’LL ALSO LOVE!
THE FESTIVAL DES JARDINS ON THE CÔTE D'AZUR
Along the Mediterranean coastline and in the countryside, the most beautiful parks and gardens are open to the public on the Côte d'Azur. Be transported by the beauty of these ephemeral landscape creations designed by national and international landscaping teams. Take part in the numerous activities and exclusive visits which punctuate the almost month-long Festival des Jardins on the Côte d'Azur!
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE MIMOSA ROUTE
The Mimosa Route consists of eight stages on a 130-kilometer long road that is usually travelled from January to March to enjoy the beauty of the Côte d'Azur - winter version. Here is a selection of recommendations and what not to miss on the famous Mimosa Route.
DISCOVERING MENTON’S GARDENS
Menton’s gardens are undoubtedly worth a visit during your stay on the Côte d'Azur! Between Belle Epoque and sensory journeys, the gardens in Menton will transport you into lush worlds with exotic and lemony fragrances. A desire to discover new plants or simply to escape for a moment? Here is a selection of Menton’s not to be missed gardens.
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GARDENS
ON THE CÔTE D’AZUR!
Residents and visitors to the Côte d’Azur, discover the selection of places, recommendations and favourites of the Côte d’Azur France community of ambassadors.
By Côte d’Azur France Ambassadors