AN ESTATE TURNED EXCEPTIONAL GARDEN
Before becoming an exceptional garden, the Domaine du Rayol has long been an estate.
First it was the businessman Alfred Courmes who, in 1910, had his farm and main residence built on this headland overlooking the Bay du Figuier.
Sold in part in 1925 to a property company, the estate became the property of the famous aeronautics constructor Henri Potez in 1940, who transformed it into the “Sea Hotel”. He was forced to take refuge in a free zone because of the war.
Under these conditions, the estate was abandoned for a long time before being bought in 1989 by the Conservatoire du littoral.
The landscape gardener Gilles Clément put forward the project to reinvent the estate’s gardens. The Conservatoire du littoral partnered with the Association du Domaine du Rayol, thus allowing better management of the site.
The Domaine has welcomed over 1.5 million visitors since it opened in 1989 and has been awarded the “Qualité Tourisme” [Tourism Quality] and “Jardin Remarquable” [Remarkable Garden] labels.