Every morning, the Côte d’Azur rises with the sun, lulled by the environment of the markets. The sounds, colours, perfumes, everything on the authentic stalls reflects the South of France of which we are so proud. Discover these emblems of the Côte d’Azur heritage! Here is a selection of the best markets on the Côte d’Azur!
1. MARCHÉ DES HALLES IN MENTON
2. MARCHÉ DU COURS SALEYA IN NICE
1 – On the outskirts of the old town of Menton, facing the port, the flavours of the Côte d’Azur gather in all the small stands that create this market’s charm. Municipal halls, there are fresh products filled with colours, from fruit to charcuterie… Think about tasting the barbajuan and the pichade which are two Menton specialities!
Market days: Monday to Sunday from 8 am to 1 pm.
2 – The famous Cours Saleya market in Old Nice gets going at 6 am in a unique atmosphere. Local produce mingles with the flowers that blend in with the facades. The flower market is even listed as an exceptional market by the Conseil National des Arts Culinaires.
Market days: Tuesday to Sunday from 6 am to 1.30 pm (and until 5 pm for the flower market).
3. MARCHÉ PROVENCAL IN ANTIBES
4. MARCHÉ FORVILLE IN CANNES
3. This Provencal market is an old-Antibes treasure. Behind the ramparts and in front of the town hall people amass in the Cours Masséna hall having come from all over the world to taste exceptional products being sold by market gardeners, florists, fishmongers and more… And drink in the aromas of all kinds of spices and oils.
Market days: Tuesday to Sunday from 6 am to 1 pm (until 1.45 pm in July and August).
4. This market illustrates the cultural past of the famous city of Cannes. The Forville market, at the foot of the old district of Le Suquet, is a meeting point for food lovers. All the colours of the south are there with local producers and small typical bars all around. A pleasant stroll in this hall of happiness.
Market days: Tuesday to Sunday from 7.30 am to 1 pm.
5. MORNING MARKETS IN COURS IN GRASSE
6. PLACE DES LYS MARKET IN SAINT-TROPEZ
5. TAll along Cours Honoré Cresp some hundred stallholders present not only gourmet and Provençal flavours but also flowers, jewellery, accessories and other interesting items.
Market days: Wednesdays from 8 am to 1 pm (Cours Honoré Creps) and Saturdays from 7 am to 1.45 pm (Place aux Aires and Place aux Herbes).
6. In the heart of Saint-Tropez on Tuesdays and Saturdays, Place des Lices is transformed into a large and colourful market. In the shade of plane trees, local flavours mingle with flowers, plants, clothes and other artisanal creations, such as the famous hats or straw baskets.
Market days: Tuesdays and Saturdays from 8 am to 1 pm.
7. MARCHÉ PAYSAN IN HYÈRES
7. On Avenue Gambetta, people jostle to see the parade of freshly caught fish, wildflowers and local vegetables such as artichokes and sweet potatoes… all grown nearby! Everything about this market makes visitors want to explore it further.
Market days: Tuesdays, Saturdays from 8 am to 1 pm (and on Thursdays in summer).
THE BEST MARKETS
ON THE CÔTE D’AZUR!
Residents and visitors to the Côte d’Azur, discover the selection of places, recommendations and favourites of the Côte d’Azur France community of ambassadors.
By Côte d’Azur France Ambassadors