Remarkable evidence of the history of the Franciscans
Overlooking the Roya gorges, admire the ancient Saorge stronghold that controlled the road from Nice to Turin!
The monastery was founded in 1633 by Franciscan friars. With financial help from the local parish, they completed its construction around 1662. Around 1794, soldiers chased the friars away and occupied the monastery. It took thirty years before the monastery was returned to the Franciscans. However, the promulgation of the Law of Congregations in 1901 led to the closure of the community and they were expelled in 1903. The friars once again walked the corridors of the monastery between 1969 and 1988. Today it is open to visitors, and for several years has served as an artists’ residence.