HYÈRES LES PALMIERS
Hyères is one of the oldest inhabited sites on the Côte d’Azur. The Greeks established themselves here in the 5th century BCE. Hyères was known as “Olbia”: the ancient ruins can be visited at the archaeological site of the same name. The town then grew in the Middle Ages, thanks to agriculture and cottage industry: the Templers, amongst others, occupied the town centre, which is the historic centre of today. Then, in the 19th century, under the influence of Alphonse Denis, its mayor under the July Monarchy, Hyères underwent a metamorphosis: it became a holiday destination for many wealthy families, whose visits multiplied when the PLM (Paris-Lyon-Mediterranean) railway arrived in the Var in 1859.
To find out more about the urban history of Hyères les Palmiers, book a tour with the Guides de France.