img-name-mising

The Calvary of the Pas du Cerf Castle

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Wayside cross in La Londe-les-Maures
  • The calvary is located in the vicinity of the Chateau Pas du Cerf estate on the edge of the RD88.

  • The only calvary in the commune, it represents a grey-painted metal Christ, crucified on a granite cross decorated with ivy, standing on a quadrangular concrete base.
    Originally made of wood and destroyed by fire, this calvary was built in 1958 to bear witness to the past vocation of the Château Pas du Cerf estate, which was home to the Carthusian monks of La Verne on retreat. According to oral tradition, the carters, who easily got bogged down in this area, used to whip it by saying "noun...
    The only calvary in the commune, it represents a grey-painted metal Christ, crucified on a granite cross decorated with ivy, standing on a quadrangular concrete base.
    Originally made of wood and destroyed by fire, this calvary was built in 1958 to bear witness to the past vocation of the Château Pas du Cerf estate, which was home to the Carthusian monks of La Verne on retreat. According to oral tradition, the carters, who easily got bogged down in this area, used to whip it by saying "noun de diéu" in Provençal. The current Christ brought back from Brittany by a friend of the Gualtieri family, owners of the estate, was blessed at a ceremony followed by a meal attended by farm workers and neighbours.
    It is one of the rare examples of a monument dedicated to Christ, with the Marian vocation taking precedence in our region.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2022
    Opened Everyday
Nos suggestions