See photos (2)

San Dalmas of Tende

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Religious heritage, Convent, Priory in Tende
  • San Dalmas of Tende is a small village attached to Tende. It is full of history, with iconoclastic monuments of the Roya Valley.

  • San Dalmas evangelised the valley in the 3rd century. A convent was built in 731 by the monks of Saint-Dalmas de Pedona, before the arrival of the Saracens, who gave their name to the village. In the last century, the village was a holiday resort and was also home to workers from the Vallauria zinc and silver-lead mines, and nowadays to workers from the hydroelectric power plants. According to popular tradition, the Saracens employed black slaves and villagers from the valley in Vallauria,...
    San Dalmas evangelised the valley in the 3rd century. A convent was built in 731 by the monks of Saint-Dalmas de Pedona, before the arrival of the Saracens, who gave their name to the village. In the last century, the village was a holiday resort and was also home to workers from the Vallauria zinc and silver-lead mines, and nowadays to workers from the hydroelectric power plants. According to popular tradition, the Saracens employed black slaves and villagers from the valley in Vallauria, while the monks, taken prisoner, ensured the transport of the ore to Conventi. These monks were very well placed to brave evil and evangelise the pagans.
    From the 13th century onwards, the priory underwent various conversions after the Revolution and was finally reoccupied by a congregation of nuns. The Benedictines of the abbey of Pedona had a refuge on the Col de Tende in order to communicate with their convent of Saint-Dalmas. This refuge was given in 1592 by the Duke of Savoy to the chivalric order of San Maurice and Lazarus.
    Another remarkable monument at San Dalmas is the monumental neo-classical railway station which allowed Mussolini to establish his omnipotence at the border.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Nos suggestions