See photos (9)

Liberation stele

Historic site and monument, Memorial in La Londe-les-Maures
  • This stele was erected in 1970 by the Souvenir Français on the site of the first divisional cemetery created after the liberation of La Londe les Maures.

  • On 17 August 1944 it was along this road that the first American soldiers arrived, followed by the African commandos. An American tank destroyer is stopped by German artillery in front of the Tour Saint Honoré castle. From the top of the destroyed turret, Sergeant Stanley Bender fixes the enemy fire and attacks the bridge that bears his name before liberating the village.
    The Marquis de Lordat, owner of the land, agreed to the request of General Diégo Brosset, commander of the 1st DFL (1st...
    On 17 August 1944 it was along this road that the first American soldiers arrived, followed by the African commandos. An American tank destroyer is stopped by German artillery in front of the Tour Saint Honoré castle. From the top of the destroyed turret, Sergeant Stanley Bender fixes the enemy fire and attacks the bridge that bears his name before liberating the village.
    The Marquis de Lordat, owner of the land, agreed to the request of General Diégo Brosset, commander of the 1st DFL (1st Free French Division), that the bodies of 117 officers, non-commissioned officers and soldiers out of the 298 of this unit who perished between La Londe and Le Pradet, should be buried there.
    The graves were maintained by the children of Jean Jaurès school for many years after the end of the war.
    General de Lattre de Tassigny, commander of the 1st French Army, Rhine and Danube, came to pay his respects to those who died after the Liberation of Toulon. General O'Daniel, commander of the 3rd American Infantry Division (3rd U.S.I.D.), stopped by before visiting the huge field hospital set up on the Valrose site. General de Gaulle came to pay his respects here after the end of the war. He was welcomed by the mayor, Mr François de Leusse.
    This officer of the Foreign Legion, integrated into the African commandos under the name of Captain de Montgraham, landed on the beach of Canadel and liberated Cap Bénat and the Fort of Brégançon. In November 1944, during the liberation of Belfort, at the head of the 3rd African commando, he was one of the rare survivors of this unit decimated at the Arsot wood in Offemont where a crossroads bears his name.
    Most of the bodies of the soldiers of the 1st DFL were returned to their families after the opening of the national necropolis of Boulouris near Saint Raphaël, inaugurated on 15 August 1964 by General De Gaulle.
    On 8 May 1981, the local committee of the Souvenir Français of La Londe les Maures, created on 2 May 1980 on the initiative of Mr Ponel, director of the Jean Jaurès school during the occupation and president of the Souvenir Français of Hyères, received its first flag here.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2022
    Opened Everyday
Nos suggestions