See photos (7)

Les Bormettes, historic district

Historic site and monument, Industrial site, Historic patrimony, Religious heritage, 19th C, 16th C, 17th C, 18th C, 20th C in La Londe-les-Maures
  • Historic district with a concentration of remarkable sites and buildings from all periods of history. One of the oldest districts, which has probably been inhabited since the Iron Age with the establishment of an oppidum.

  • This district, full of history, can be considered as the historical heart of La Londe because of the traces of human occupation attested since Antiquity, perhaps even since the Iron Age, and the architectural heritage it shelters:

    - Château des Bormettes, an agricultural bastide built between 1588 and 1642 by the Carthusian monks of La Verne and which is imbued with monastic architecture (bell tower, pediment engraved with religious symbols, large vaulted room housing the facilities of an...
    This district, full of history, can be considered as the historical heart of La Londe because of the traces of human occupation attested since Antiquity, perhaps even since the Iron Age, and the architectural heritage it shelters:

    - Château des Bormettes, an agricultural bastide built between 1588 and 1642 by the Carthusian monks of La Verne and which is imbued with monastic architecture (bell tower, pediment engraved with religious symbols, large vaulted room housing the facilities of an oil mill). The first known wine estate in the area. Private site, accessible on a guided tour.

    - Château Horace Vernet, built around 1855 as a holiday resort and then as the retirement home of Louis-Philippe's official painter, in an eclectic style (medieval and oriental). Bas-reliefs on the façade signed by Allar. The wing of the castle has a roof terrace, one of the first on the Côte d'Azur. Private site, not open to the public.

    - Château neuf des Bormettes, a bourgeois residence built in the 1910s. Private site, no access allowed

    Former industrial railway line, now used by the Annamites footpath

    Coron-type workers' housing estate built between 1913 and 1920 to house the staff of the Schneider arms factory. It is made up of 4 rows of similar dwellings of 3 types (semi-detached villas, houses and small houses attached to each other with a garden on one side and a courtyard on the other) as well as individual villas, built around two central squares, a village hall-theatre and a bar that are still in use, and a food cooperative (rehabilitated as a day-care centre). There is also a rectangular building which housed the Post Office and telegraph, a circular building which housed the electric transformer and a water tower. Rare example of a coron in the Mediterranean, and still inhabited.

    - Schneider armament factory, installed in 1912 for the manufacture of torpedoes, housing a brick workshop of 1000m² fitted with overhead travelling cranes, covered with a metal framework and a sheds roof. This important Eiffel-type industrial building bears witness to the importance of this economic activity until 1993. Private site, not open to the public.

    - Remains of an imposing chimney-tunnel of a lead foundry, built in 1897 over a length of almost 1 km on the slopes of a hill. The most imposing architectural witness of the important mining activity of La Londe. It was built as an experiment. Remains of a castrum, a medieval fortified town (probably installed on a Celto-Ligurian oppidum) occupied from the middle of the 13th century (perhaps as early as the 11th) until the 14th century at the latest. One of the oldest human settlement sites in the commune, possibly the first village. The archaeological site is located on private property and access is forbidden.

    All the sites and buildings are private, forbidden to access but externally visible from public roads, except for the castrum and the tunnel chimney.
  • Environment
    • Town outskirts
    • Village 2 km away
    • View over the vineyards
  • Documentation
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2023
    Opened Everyday
Close