Portail de l'Ouest à La Turbie

West Portal

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Medieval town, Door, Historic district in La Turbie

  • The old West Portal that protected the old fortress.

  • Between the 11th and 12th centuries, the Trophy of Augustus, stripped of its magnificence and ruined, was transformed into a fortress. With the first houses of the village, the fortified ensemble called Castro Torbia, will become a stronghold on the borders of Provence. In the centuries that followed, the town - historically attached to the County of Nice - depended in turn on Provence, the Duchy of Savoy (13888 - 1792), France (1792-1814), the Kingdom of Piedmont - Sardinia (1814-1860), to...
    Between the 11th and 12th centuries, the Trophy of Augustus, stripped of its magnificence and ruined, was transformed into a fortress. With the first houses of the village, the fortified ensemble called Castro Torbia, will become a stronghold on the borders of Provence. In the centuries that followed, the town - historically attached to the County of Nice - depended in turn on Provence, the Duchy of Savoy (13888 - 1792), France (1792-1814), the Kingdom of Piedmont - Sardinia (1814-1860), to become definitively French in 1860.
    Two gates surmounted by machicolations, situated to the east and west, were connected by the Rue Droite. They protected the entrance to the fortified village, leaning against the surrounding wall.
    The Portail de l'Ouest opens on the current rue Comte de Cessole, named after the Nice magistrate who, in 1843, published a famous work on the Trophy and the Roman road Julia Augusta.
  • Environment

    • Close to a motorway
    • Village centre
    • Close to GR footpath
    • Close to a public transportation
    • Bus stop < 500 m
  • Spoken languages

Services
  • Equipment

    • Parking
  • Services

    • Guided tours
Openings

Openings

  • All year
    Opened Everyday
Our suggestions