Le patrimoine religieux en Méditerranée Porte des Maures

The ordeal of the Château le Pas du Cerf

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Wayside cross in La Londe-les-Maures

  • The calvary is located in the vicinity of the Château Pas du Cerf estate on the edge of the RD88.

  • The only calvary in the town, it represents a metal Christ painted in grey, crucified on a granite cross decorated with ivy, erected on a quadrangular concrete base.

    Originally made of wood and destroyed by fire, this Calvary was built in 1958 to testify to the past vocation of the Château Pas du Cerf estate, which welcomed the retired Carthusian monks of La Verne. According to oral tradition, the carters, who easily got bogged down in this area, whipped it by saying in Provençal "noun...
    The only calvary in the town, it represents a metal Christ painted in grey, crucified on a granite cross decorated with ivy, erected on a quadrangular concrete base.

    Originally made of wood and destroyed by fire, this Calvary was built in 1958 to testify to the past vocation of the Château Pas du Cerf estate, which welcomed the retired Carthusian monks of La Verne. According to oral tradition, the carters, who easily got bogged down in this area, whipped it by saying in Provençal "noun de diéu". The current Christ brought back from Brittany by a friend of the Gualtieri family, owner of the estate, was blessed at a ceremony followed by a meal bringing together farm workers and neighbours.

    It is one of the few examples of a monument dedicated to Christ, the Marian vocation prevailing in our region.
  • Spoken languages

Openings

Openings

  • All year
    Opened Everyday
Our suggestions