La Turbie

Carlo Felicerege Fountain

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Fountain, listed (CMN) in La Turbie

  • Completed in 1824 under the Sardinian restoration (1814-1860), on the edge of the Great Corniche, the fountain is dedicated to King Charles Felix.

  • The inscription on the pediment sums up the history of the building: "This fountain and aqueduct, which the Romans had built to build the Trophy of Augustus that now threatens ruin, have been repaired and embellished by the municipality of La Turbie, for the convenience of the inhabitants and travellers, and to ensure the future watering and fertility of the land. Under the auspices of Count Crotti of
    Costilliole, eminent Prefect of Nice in 1824. ».
    Major works were necessary to bring...
    The inscription on the pediment sums up the history of the building: "This fountain and aqueduct, which the Romans had built to build the Trophy of Augustus that now threatens ruin, have been repaired and embellished by the municipality of La Turbie, for the convenience of the inhabitants and travellers, and to ensure the future watering and fertility of the land. Under the auspices of Count Crotti of
    Costilliole, eminent Prefect of Nice in 1824. ».
    Major works were necessary to bring water from the source of the Faïssé, located on the slopes of Mont-Agel. Highly functional, the fountain changed the lives of the Turbiasques for whom water supply was a major concern! The basins and spillways also provided water for the draught animals and washing clothes - here called "la bugada" (the bugada).
  • Spoken languages

Openings

Openings

  • All year
    Opened Everyday
Our suggestions