See photos (2)

Church of the Nativity

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Church, 19th C in La Londe-les-Maures
  • Late 19th century Provençal church, atypical in that the choir faces west. Permanent and animated Provencal cot.

  • Church built following the dilapidation and the smallness of the first chapel erected as a parish in 1788 (located opposite the current church). Built from 1844 by the parishioners themselves with stones extracted from the Pansard and Maravenne rivers, it was founded in 1847. Originally without a transept with a semi-dome choir, the sacristy and side chapels were added in 1873 and the side aisles in 1922.

    A church with a basilican plan composed of a central nave with an apse flanked by the...
    Church built following the dilapidation and the smallness of the first chapel erected as a parish in 1788 (located opposite the current church). Built from 1844 by the parishioners themselves with stones extracted from the Pansard and Maravenne rivers, it was founded in 1847. Originally without a transept with a semi-dome choir, the sacristy and side chapels were added in 1873 and the side aisles in 1922.

    A church with a basilican plan composed of a central nave with an apse flanked by the bell tower and two side aisles. The bell tower, with its almost flat roof, has been completely restored and houses two bells, one dated 1872 (restored in 2018) and the other 1950. The main facade is on a gable wall with a triangular pediment, pierced by a rose window (since 2007) and a rather simple portal with a stone frame topped by a thin entablature. East-facing. Each nave has 3 gemeled bays with stained glass windows. On the north facade, stained glass windows with the initials SA for St André and SL for St Louis (a tribute to André Augustin Allègre, donor of the land on which the church was built, and Louis Marmotant, the artist who donated these two windows made in Auxerre in 1943). Heart illuminated by two stained glass windows representing a Virgin and Child and St Vincent (patron saint of winegrowers).

    Furnishings: Gilded wooden statues, in particular of the Virgin and Child (from the first parish), St Pons (patron saint of the church), St André (from the "Château de La Londe", the former Allègre property adjoining the first parish), paintings representing the Stations of the Cross, ex-voto.

    Atypical Provençal church with its west-facing choir.
    Permanent and animated Provençal cot.
  • Environment
    • Town location
    • Village centre
  • Spoken languages
    • French
  • Documentation
Services
  • Accessibility
    • Accessible for wheelchairs with assistance
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2022
    Opened Everyday
Nos suggestions