The Mémory Road of La Londe les Maures 1942-1944
Cultural leisure activities, Pedestrian sports, Tourist routes, Course in La Londe-les-Maures
The Committee of the French Remembrance of La Londe les Maures, with the support of the municipality, proposes a free path that recalls the occupation of the village from 1942 to 1944, the commitment and the sacrifice of its inhabitants and its liberation on August 17, 1944.
Two panels at the East and West entrances of the city, 5 lecterns and 2 wall plaques located in different places of the town, constitute a memory trail in tribute to the French and American soldiers and the twenty-two London "Dead for France" during the Second World War.
Stele of the Liberation
Located on the D.559 at the eastern entrance of the city, 800 m from the zoo, it was erected by the French Souvenir in 1970 on the site of the first divisional cemetery of the 1st Free French...Two panels at the East and West entrances of the city, 5 lecterns and 2 wall plaques located in different places of the town, constitute a memory trail in tribute to the French and American soldiers and the twenty-two London "Dead for France" during the Second World War.
> Stele of the Liberation
Located on the D.559 at the eastern entrance of the city, 800 m from the zoo, it was erected by the French Souvenir in 1970 on the site of the first divisional cemetery of the 1st Free French Division where 117 soldiers were killed in the fighting for the liberation of Toulon.
> Sergeant Stanley Bender Bridge
Located at the beginning of the road leading to Valcros, it spans the Maravenne.
The only access point to enter La Londe, it was taken intact after hard fighting by the Sergeant Bender platoon of the 3rd US Infantry Division (3 ° DI.US), August 17, 1944.
> Eugène Oswald School
Located on rue Eugene Oswald, it bears the name of the young resistant Londais of a maquis of Ain, killed in an ambuscade at Songieu (01) July 13, 1944.
> Louis Bussone Street
The name of the young resistant of La Londe who had tried to defuse explosive charges under the Pansard bridge.
Discovered, he is pursued and arrested in front of his home by the occupation troops, then shot near the cooperative cellar on August 17, 1944.
> The 1st Free French Division
The plaque located downtown Avenue Clemenceau, recalls the epic of this division.
It is at the crossroads of the four roads that the troops were directed towards Hyères and Pierrefeu August 19, 1944 by the officer Pierre Pasquini.
After the war, this resistant of the first hour will occupy municipal, departmental and national functions.
He was Minister of Veterans Affairs from 1995 to 1997.
> Stele of the Martyrs of the Resistance
Located on the Pansard Bridge at the entrance to the city, it was erected in May 1945.
The names of three London resistance fighters: Eugene Oswald, Louis Bussone and Pierre Rivault are engraved there.
> Paul Ducournau General Bridge
Located near the entrance of the Vitria stadium, the panel is inaugurated in 1994 for the 50th anniversary of the landing of Provence.
It recalls the passage on August 18, 1944 of the 1st group of African commandos commanded by Captain Ducournau liberator of Cap Nègre, the blockhouses of Mauvanne and Fort du Coudon.
> Place called La Pascalette
Located at the level of the old railway crossing on the D.559 at the western entrance of the city, near the castle of La Pascalette seat of the Kommandantur and the precise place from where the commandos of Africa to attack the Mauvanne blockhouses.
> Stele of Bormettes
Located on the Place Pierre Rivault, it recalls the sacrifice of four children of the district Dead for France during the second world war: Pierre Mazières, Pierre Rivault, Leonardo Turc, Ubaldo Sangès.
Contact by email
- See all reviews
- All year