7 - Place de l'Eglise

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Historic district in Mougins
  • J - The Bell Tower
    The construction of the lower part of the bell tower probably predates that of the Church.
    The bell tower attached to the north has a square of about 4m on the side and 10m in height.
    Its more modern elevation dates from the 19th century.

  • K - The Church of Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur
    This church is included in the donation made by the Bishop of Antibes between 1062 and 1083 for the benefit of the Abbey of Lérins.
    It was built slightly at an angle to the bell tower (about ten degrees) at the end of the 11th century / beginning of the 12th century.
    The oldest part of the Church with the door of the present sacristy surmounted by a stone cross was probably the old Seigneurial Chapel of Saint-Marie. It was built in three stages,...
    K - The Church of Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur
    This church is included in the donation made by the Bishop of Antibes between 1062 and 1083 for the benefit of the Abbey of Lérins.
    It was built slightly at an angle to the bell tower (about ten degrees) at the end of the 11th century / beginning of the 12th century.
    The oldest part of the Church with the door of the present sacristy surmounted by a stone cross was probably the old Seigneurial Chapel of Saint-Marie. It was built in three stages, started in the 10th century under the name of Saint-Jaques-le-Majeur, then enlarged in the 18th century with the addition of a second nave (lateral and parallel to the 1st) and finalized in the 19th century.
    Inside, you can admire the statues of Saint-Joseph and Sainte-Marie in gilded cardboard from the School of Grasse from the 18th century, a crucifix from the 15th century. The font and the baptismal font are from the 18th century. In the choir, the altar stone was carved in the 11th century.

    L - "Le banc des Amis" and its fountain (1995) by the artist Carla Lavatelli (Italian-American artist 1928-2006)
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Close